About: Best Breast Pumps in India [Manual + Electric]
Motherhood is a life changing experience for a woman, the joy of holding your baby can’t be described in words. But parenthood comes with unique demands and challenges; during this time, your top priority must be the healthy growth and development of your newborn.
As we know, breast milk is the richest and the best baby food a newborn can get; it provides the proper nutrition for the baby and aids in their development. However, breastfeeding is not always possible for all mothers, which is especially true for working mothers or premature babies having difficulty latching on to the breast.
This is where breast pump comes in handy when such situations arise and allow mothers to make breast milk readily available for their babies. Hence in this post, we’ve created a comprehensive list of Best Breast Pumps in India 2022. We have covered both electric and breast manual pumps after in depth analysis and have considered paediatric recommendations.
What are Breast Pumps and their types?
A breast pump is a mechanical device used by lactating women to express milk. A pump can either be a manual device powered by hand movements or an automatic machine powered by electricity.
The latter is more convenient. Regardless of which type of pump a woman uses, they all have one thing in common: women use them to express milk. Let’s examine the different types of breast pumps.
Manual Breast Pumps
A manual pump is an excellent option for women who stay at home or only use it in emergencies; using them can be labour-intensive and require some effort to extract milk. If you’re considering using a breast pump regularly, we suggest you go for an electric breast pump.
Electric Breast Pumps
The electric pump is powered by batteries or a cord that plugs into an electrical outlet; they are time-saving, less laborious & super-convenient to use. Though they are priced higher than manual pumps, they are an excellent option for regular or frequent users and can be a lifesaver for working moms.
Best Breast Pumps in India 2022
Best Electric Breast Pump in India 2022
Luvlap Electric Breast Pump features an anti-backflow valve and anti-leakage features. The unique petal design mimics a baby’s natural sucking rhythm and makes expression pleasant for the mother.
The soft cushion made of silicone and two pumping phases of stimulation and expression provide a natural experience. Each mode comes with nine intensity levels, and it has a Smart Memory function that remembers the previously used setting.
The electric breast pump comes equipped with a USB charging port and a built-in battery. You can use it by connecting to the power source or through a rechargeable battery which lasts for 2 hours.
- Single breast pump with rechargeable battery
- Touch screen display for easy operation
- Anti-backflow feature ensures zero contamination
- 2 hours of battery life
- Dual-phase expression with nine levels of suction intensity mode
- Portable and easy to carry
- It comes with a soft silicone massage cushion
- 2-phase pumping function
- Dual-power source
- Cheaper compared to other brands
- Low battery life
- Cany be noisy at times
Medela Advance model is by far the best double electric breast pump in India; it comes from Medela, which has won several awards for its innovative baby feeding pumps and is an internationally recognised brand.
Medela Advanced Electric Breast Pump is a double electric breast pump designed for mothers who frequently pump throughout the day and offer portable convenience for discreet pumping anywhere.
The breast pump comes with an on-the-go Tote bag with a built-in pump (which is detachable) that holds every single accessory and the pump itself. It also features a built-in bottle holder and tubing storage pocket to keep you organised and comes with a nice cooler bag with ice packs for milk storage.
Unlike other pumps, you can pump both breasts at once without using your hands which allows you to continue with your routine work. Overall, Medela Advanced Breast Pump is an excellent investment if you want to stay away from cheap electric breast pumps.
- Dual electric breast pump with battery
- It comes in an attractive tote bag along with 24mm breast shields
- 2-Phase expression technology
- Extremely comfortable and highly efficient pump
- Packing includes a cooler system (cooler bag, ice pack & milk bottles with lid) for milk storage.
- One of the most advanced and Best Electric Breast Pump in India.
- Medela Pump is made to use multiple times a day
- One of the Best Breast Pumps in India
- Cleaning is effortless
- It takes around 5-10 minutes to express milk, whereas other pumps take more than 30 minutes.
- A portable pump which can be used with a car adapter
- Bit expensive when compared to other pumps in the market
Next on the Best Breast Pumps in India list is an electric pump from Spectra. This hospitable grade electric pump incorporates the most up to date technology of 300mmHg suction and double pumping features.
Spectra electric breast pump is a top-rated electric breast pump for Indian moms and is highly rated by the pediatrician. It features perfect backflow protection and is constructed using high-quality BPA free plastic.
It includes top notch features such as massage mode, which encourages fast letdown, adjusts pumping strength and duration. Spectra pumps are trusted by mothers around the globe and are considered one of the best durable breast pumps in India.
- Hospital-grade Electric Breast Pump
- Includes 300mmHg powerful suction
- Massage mode for the speedy letdown of milk
- Dual Pumping
- Crafty design
- It comes with various vacuum settings & speed
- It doesn’t make a noise like other brands
- Powered by motor with 1500 hours of life
- Very easy to clean
- 2-years warranty
- Needs power connection to run
- Bulky and not easy to carry
The R For Rabbit Electric Breast Pump is designed to meet stringent safety standards; it is made of BPA free material and comes with an 800mAh rechargeable battery. The dual-mode breast pump has massage mode with ten levels which stimulate milk flow with adjustable suction mode.
Furthermore, the breast pump is equipped with an anti-backflow feature and operates on 1.5 Bionic frequency (Time between 2 suctions your baby to express the milk), making it easy to use. With compact size, intelligent touch control with LCD makes this one of the best breast pumps in India.
- One-touch Intelligent touch control display
- Ten levels of massage mode to stimulate milk flow
- 15 levels of suction power to increase milk flow
- Dual-mode electric breast pump
- Independent Variable Frequency Mute for improved safety during expression.
- Compact design
- Anti-back flow system
- It comes with an 800mAh rechargeable battery
- LCD Display
- Economical option
- Less suction power
- Poor after-sales customer support
The Philips Avent breast pump is an economical option compared to the dual electric breast pump models; the single pump model allows both breastfeeding and pumping at once, thus saving your time.
The pump comes with eight stimulation levels and 16 pumping settings for quicker milk expression. Additionally, the pump removes the need to lean forward during expression, which lowers the risk of back pain.
Overall, the Philips Avent Pump is a perfect breast pump considering the price, and if you’re looking for a compact pump in size and easy to clean, you can’t go wrong by choosing this model.
- Natural Motion Technology allows faster milk expression
- Eight simulation levels and 16 pumping settings for personal experience
- Made from BPA-free material
- It produces significantly less noise
- Compatible with Philips Avent feeding bottles
- Philips Avent Electric Breast Pump Price is economical
- Relaxed pumping experience
- One size fits all breast-shaped teat
- Compact and lightweight
- Pocket-friendly option
- It comes with rechargeable batteries
- It takes time to fill milk bottle since it’s a single pump model
- It can be painful to use
This compact electric breast pump from Luvlap is completely tubeless; it is designed to resemble the breastfeeding pattern of a baby, making expression gentle and pleasant for the mothers.
The pump works on the principle of a 2-phase pumping cycle, i.e., stimulation and expression; the manufacturer includes a soft silicon cushion used to induce letdown. There are nine intensity levels that you can choose and adjust according to your liking.
The Luvlap Elite Breast pump has a large touch screen display and rechargeable battery for maximum comfort and productivity.
- Large touch screen and intelligent memory function
- Made from BPA-Free material
- 2 phase expression with nine intensity levels
- It comes with a rechargeable battery
- Compact Tubeless design
- It comes with Dual Power options
- Closed pumping system to prevent milk contamination
- Pocket friendly
- Average suction power
- Poor customer support
Best Manual Breast Pumps in India 2022
Medela has a range of the best breast manual pumps in India; with its superior technology and well-researched models, they are the most sought-after baby feeding product. The most distinguishing feature in this model is its two-phase expression, which mimics natural breastfeeding and triggers the milk flow.
Medela Manual Breast Pump comes with two handles; the shorter handle starts the suction cycle, imitating the baby’s feeding pattern and inducing the letdown reflex. After a minute, you can begin pumping with the long handle, which draws out milk from the breast.
The compact design, stress-free cleaning, and inclusion of breast shields put this pump on top of our Best Manual Breast Pumps in India list.
- High-quality breast pump designed from BPA free plastic
- Light and compact pump which easily fits into a handbag
- It comes with a unique 105° oval shape & soft rim, which offers a better breast shield
- Uses two-phase technology for expression
- Hospital-grade breast pump
- Compact & Lightweight
- It comes with 24mm breast shields
- Easy to press handles
- Not noisy
- Easy to clean
- It doesn’t include different size breast shields.
Philips Avent Pump is trendy among lactating mothers. With solid brand image, ease of use, availability, and comfort makes it one of the top models in this category.
It allows you to express milk comfortably instead of leaning forward; the soft massage cushion gently massages the breast by stimulating the milk flow. The breastfeeding pump comes with six components that are easy to assemble.
- All-in-one breast pump, express, store and feed
- Soft massage cushion with a warm feeling
- Free from BPA, BPS, Latex & Nitrosamine
- Clinically tested
- Compact lightweight design
- Dishwasher safe
- Easy to assemble
- It comes with two years warranty
- Sturdy handle for easy operation
- Only a single expression setting
Also Read: 8 Best Baby Diapers in India 2022
Naturebond silicone breast pump lets you manually collect the expressed milk in a silicone container through suction pressure. It comes in a sterile and hygienic vacuum packing-which is entirely safe for the baby and its mother.
The Naturebond pump comes with a double-loop pump strap that holds the silicone pump and prevents spillage. It has a unique design that allows mothers to adjust the suction levels according to their individual preferences. The manual pump set includes a pump stopper, dust cover lid, pump strap and velvet pouch.
- Unique smart pressure Dual Ring design allows suction adjustments
- Made from high-quality silicone material
- Scallop Hem stopper prevents milk spillages
- Certified by Bureau of Veritas – a world leader in testing & inspection
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to use, clean and sterilise
- Not noisy
- The no-pour silicone spout is gentle on the breast skin
- It comes with a nice velvet bag to carry
- Suction power isn’t great
- Using a Patent pump strap can be annoying
The final product in the list of Best Breast Pumps in Indiais from Chicco; the pump is designed using 2-phase technology that mimics the natural sucking pattern of the baby.
Simulation or the 1st phase gives a soft massage to the mother’s breast, which opens the milk ducts for expression. The Expression or 2nd phase leads to the extraction of milk gently and efficiently with the help of a soft silicone cup that perfectly envelops the mother’s breast without hurting.
If you’re looking for a manual breast pump that is strong and sturdy, then you can definitely go for Chicco Natural Manual Breast Pump.
- Helps mother to extract effectively, express and store milk
- Two-phase technology makes expression gentle
- Ergonomic handle makes the fast press more labour-saving
- It comes with an extra silicone cup that doesn’t harm the delicate skin
- It is recommended by mothers, which makes it one of the Best Breast Pumps in India.
- Made of Soft, ultralight, non-breakable design
- Free from BPA, PVC and Lead
- It weighs only 0.4kg
- Not noisy
- Not dishwasher friendly
- It doesn’t come with a warranty
Breast Pump Safety Tips
- Safety must be your primary concern when using any appliance either for milk expression by the mother or feeding milk to the baby.
- A user manual is your best friend to guide you on how to use the best pump and to be extra careful.
- Before and after each use, sterilize the parts of your pump. Equipment that isn’t sterilized can pose a health risk, such as infections.
- Avoid using the pump for prolonged periods. It could reduce your milk supply.
- It is best to avoid storing milk for extended periods, as this will cause breast milk to lose its nutrients.
- Use the correct flange size to fit your breasts, so it doesn’t cause discomfort.
- You should change your breast pump flange if you notice any changes in the colour or irritation of the area around the nipples.
Is there any side effect of breast pump?
Although breastfeeding is still the best option for new mothers, some women find it difficult to breastfeed. Reasons can range from illness to returning to work. When expressing milk, the mother can provide her baby with the goodness of breastmilk while avoiding some of the potential side effects of the pump. As a rule of thumb, a mother should ask her doctor if she should use a breast pump.
While every breast pump can cause undesirable adverse effects for certain women, for instance, during use, some of them have noticed that their nipples are itchy and painful. Hence, it is beneficial to test different breast pumps with various attachments. Many women find the process of pumping milk uncomfortable and awkward or may experience difficulties using the pump.
Another example worth considering is an electric breast pump; while it has several benefits, it can cause the breasts to swell. Moreover, the milk produced by electric pumps can be expensive, making it unaffordable for many women. As long as the baby is receiving all the nutrition it needs, a breast pump should be considered a good choice.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
When should a new mom use a breast pump?
You should use a breast pump if your baby cannot feed directly from the breast; you can also use breast pumps to stock the milk if you’re a working mom.
Is breast pump painful?
If used correctly, there is no reason to worry about pain; some women might experience slight discomfort due to the suction pressure. That can be easily adjusted by lowering the intensity levels.
How to clean a breast pump?
It is recommended to clean the pump with mild soap and warm water. You can also use a dishwasher to clean the breast pump, but remember to check the instruction manual. After cleaning, you can sterilise the pump if needed.
How long does pumped breast milk last?
Fresh breast milk can be stored at room temperature for three to eight hours. It should be used within that time frame, so don’t store it for longer than that. Once you’ve pumped breast milk, you can keep it in the freezer or refrigerate it for up to six months.
Our Top Picks – Best Breast Pumps in India 2022
If you’re looking to pump regularly, then we’d suggest you go for Medela Advanced Electric Breast Pump. The multiple phase expression technology produces more milk in less time.
Medela pumping kit is a boon for working mothers since it allows you can express multiple bottles at once and proceed with your routine work. Additionally, the micro-fibre bag and icebag are cool accessories to have for storing milk without leakages.
For non-regular users, we’d suggest Philips Avent Comfort Manual Breast Pump; its unique design allows upright posture during pumping, which other models lack. Furthermore, the Philips Breast Pump is lightweight and compact that can be carried in your bag without fuss.
So, that concludes the Best Breast Pumps in India 2022 topic; I’d like to know which breast pump you’re using or have used previously during your pregnancy. If you have any suggestions or feedback on this topic, do let me know by commenting below.