About: Muskmelon During Pregnancy | Risks Benefits and How to Eat?
Including Muskmelon (kharbuja) in your pregnancy is an excellent way to enrich your diet with wholesome vitamins and nutrients required to be healthy throughout pregnancy. During your pregnancy, your sole task is to have healthy food and provide essential nutrients to your baby for their normal growth within your belly.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), a pregnant woman is advised to consume at least two cups of fruit a day, and muskmelons are a great option to accomplish that. Moreover, it is common to see women following specially designed pregnancy diet plans for this reason. Now let’s see why consuming Muskmelon during pregnancy is a fantastic option.
Is It Safe to Eat Muskmelon During Pregnancy?
Yes, but it is essential to ensure that the Muskmelon you’re eating isn’t contaminated with harmful pesticides, which can cause health hazards. In addition, you should consume Muskmelon in moderate quantities and diversify your fruit intake.
Muskmelons are extremely helpful during pregnancy and offer the highest amount of nutrients while satisfying different palates. Furthermore, they’re low in calories and rich in nutrients, making them great for pregnant women.
For pregnant women, eating some muskmelon seeds could be the best way to get all the necessary nutrients, as well as avoid the dangers of harmful chemicals and toxins.
Muskmelon Nutritional Facts
Muskmelon or sweet melon is a rich source of nutrients essential to your foetus’s development. Hence, we suggest you add an adequate amount of Muskmelon into your daily diet to maximize the health benefits.
100 grams of Muskmelon (Kharbuja) contains:
Calories: 34 Kcal
Dietary Fibre: 0.9gm
Health Benefits of Muskmelon During Pregnancy
We all love muskmelons during summer, especially the succulent, tasty, juicy fruit that keeps your hydration levels in check. While the fruit is excellent to taste, it does contain numerous health benefits that you should know. Following are the proven health benefits of Muskmelon.
- Improves your immunity: Muskmelon is extremely rich in Vitamin C, which can boost your immunity. Consuming muskmelon seeds during pregnancy can boost your immune system and assists your body in fighting against common colds and similar diseases.
- Healthy Digestive System & Treats Constipation: Due to the high fibre and water content, it aids in getting rid of problems such as nausea, acidity and morning sickness. Additionally, it also prevents gas formation in your body since pregnancy can trigger that problem. So, eating Muskmelon lowers the chance of constipation, too.
- Enhances vision and eye health: Vitamin A is essential for developing fetuses to improve their cognitive abilities and prevent congenital impairments. It helps to develop the baby’s heart, lungs, kidneys, eyes, and bones, as Muskmelon is a rich source of Vitamin A. Therefore, you should introduce this fruit to your daily diet for healthy eyesight.
- Revitalizes your body: During pregnancy, your body drains a lot of energy while carrying her baby in your womb. Hence, it is advisable to include Muskmelon in your diet, which helps you recover your lost strength. Furthermore, muskmelon is rich in vitamins and minerals and helps revitalise your body.
- Prevents excess weight gain: It is natural to weigh more as your body holds your unborn baby in your belly. Eating Muskmelon during pregnancy will not cause excess weight gain since it’s relatively low in calories, and consuming muskmelon also reduces the risk of miscarriage.
- Regulates Blood Pressure: High blood pressure can be a common problem during pregnancy. As mentioned earlier, this fruit is naturally rich in potassium content that keeps your blood pressure levels in check by relaxing the blood vessels, thus preventing any adverse effects on your baby’s health.
- Prevents Anaemia: Anaemia is a condition where your blood supply is deficient in red blood cells, which causes excessive fatigue and weakness, particularly in women. It’s a normal condition in that occurs during pregnancy. As a source of Vitamin C, the Muskmelon, or muskmelon seeds during pregnancy can help in the development of red blood cells by efficiently distributing iron throughout your body.
- Boost Foetus Development: The abundance of zinc, folic acid, vitamin B9, and potassium in Muskmelon help out in preventing anomalies of all kind. Moreover, it strengthens the baby’s tissues and boosts the overall development of your foetus.
- Supports the development of strong bones and healthy teeth: Foods with high calcium content are advised for pregnant women, and the reason for this is that calcium assists in the overall development of bones and teeth, and that is where Muskmelon comes into the picture. The calcium content of Muskmelon can benefit your child’s development, and it also aids in developing your child’s nervous system.
What are the Risk or Side Effects of Eating Muskmelon during Pregnancy?
Muskmelon doesn’t cause allergic reactions or side effects during pregnancy other than if you consume a pesticide-infused fruit.
The reason that this fruit is being “kept away during pregnancy” is because of the bacterium known as listeria. There is a chance for bacteria to infiltrate the fruit after it is cut and may trigger an infection during pregnancy. In case pregnant women get infected, it could cause stunted growth, premature labour or miscarriage.
How to Eat Muskmelon?
Muskmelon should be washed thoroughly prior to eating it. That will help wash off dirt, fertilizers and, most importantly, food-borne bacteria such as listeriosis.
Clean and scrub the peel prior to cutting the melons. Also, remember to wash your hands after handling the fruit. After cutting, consume the fruit right away, and do not refrigerate for a prolonged period.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Does Muskmelon increase body heat?
The high-water content in the Muskmelon prevents water and electrolyte loss which our body experiences during summer. Hence, it is recommended to eat muskmelons during the summer season.
Does muskmelon increase weight?
Muskmelon contains little fat and sugar, which doesn’t increase your weight.
What is the best time to eat Muskmelon?
You can eat Muskmelon or kharbuja any time during the day. You can have them in your breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
It is now clear that eating muskmelon or muskmelon seeds during pregnancy is completely safe for both you and your baby. Please go for organic muskmelons, as they are free of harmful pesticides and toxins. Hence, before eating the Muskmelon, scrub the fruit thoroughly before taking a bite of the fresh fruit.